New York Wrongful Death Attorney
Any avoidable accident that ends in serious injury to an innocent victim is tragic, but when a needless accident ends in death to the victim, this is the most tragic event of all. If you are left without the comfort and support of a loved one because of another’s negligence, an experienced New York wrongful death attorney from the Lambrou Law Firm will help you get the compensation you need to deal with the additional costs and burdens that another’s careless and negligent act has forced upon you. The firm helps family members who have lost a loved one due to a fatal car accident, workplace accident, slip and fall, or other circumstance, including medical negligence/malpractice. Medical malpractice has actually been identified as the third leading cause of death in the United States! The Lambrou Law Firm has recovered millions of dollars over the years to help families struggling with the senseless loss of a loved one due to a doctor’s negligence.
Wrongful Death in New York
New York law defines a wrongful death as one which was brought about by a wrongful act, neglect or default of another. When the negligence is such that the victim would have had a personal injury claim had they lived, then the personal representative of the victim’s estate is empowered to bring a wrongful death claim against the negligent actor.
If successful on a wrongful death claim, the settlement or jury award is distributed to heirs and beneficiaries of the victim’s estate, which might include a spouse, children, parents, or other family members or legal dependants.
It can be hard to determine what is a reasonable amount of compensation for a wrongful death, as no amount of money can really make up for the loss of a loved one. However, the law and courts recognize many different costs and aspects of a loss which are appropriate to consider. These include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- The lost earnings between the time of injury and death
- The loss of future earnings and benefits
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of household services and support
- Any conscious pain and suffering experienced by the deceased between the time of injury and death
- Medical expenses incurred, from emergency trauma surgery after a car crash or workplace accident, to years of costly cancer treatment due to a doctor’s medically negligent misdiagnosis
- The emotional distress of a family member who was in the “zone of danger” and witnessed the event which took the life of a loved one
- Punitive damages for a death caused by an especially outrageous, reckless, or willful and wanton act
Help is Available for New York Wrongful Death Claims
Wrongful death claims are similar to personal injury claims in many respects, but with significant differences. For instance, the deadline within which to file a claim is different for the two different actions. Also, developing a case that proves the facts of the other party’s negligence will likely be different. Be sure to retain an attorney with experience in wrongful death claims to help ensure a successful outcome. For help with a wrongful death matter in New York, contact the Lambrou Law Firm at 212-285-2100 for a no-cost, confidential consultation with a caring and dedicated nationally recognized top lawyer.